Broadcom Corporation ($BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today introduced the next-generation of near field communication (NFC) controllers designed to deliver simplified connectivity and drive adoption in mass market smartphones and wearables. The new family enables mobile device manufacturers to reduce antenna size by 50 percent and lower overall cost by 35 percent. Broadcom will showcase its mobile innovations at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, February 24-27. Visit www.connectingeverything.com to learn more.
Broadcom’s BCM20795 NFC family provides original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) with highly integrated, low-power solutions that can be easily incorporated into a wide range of smartphones and tablets. The new controllers reduce power consumption more than 60 percent, use 30 percent fewer components and a 35 percent smaller board area than previous generations. The devices are also compatible with Broadcom’s Wireless Internet Connectivity for Embedded Devices (WICED™) platform. This allows NFC-enabled mass-market smartphones and WICED Smart-based wearable devices to easily connect while conserving battery life.
Broadcom’s NFC technology is certified for all payment schemes, including SIM-based, embedded and cloud-based secure elements, as well as a combination of these secure elements within the same device. This offers a significant advantage as various mobile payment methods are introduced on an international scale. As the first vendor to support the NFC Forum’s latest specifications, Broadcom also ensures compliance with all current standards.
“With mobile payments gaining momentum and consumers using their devices more frequently to tap and share information, there is an increased demand for a premium NFC experience on affordable smartphones,” said Dino Bekis, Broadcom Vice President, Product Marketing, Wireless Connectivity Combos. “Broadcom’s new NFC controllers offer an innovative architecture that radically reduces costs for our customers so they can deliver simplified connectivity to a broader audience.”
BCM20795 NFC Key Features:
- Supports ISO/IEC 18092, ISO/IEC 21481, ISO/ IEC 14443 Types A, B, and B’, Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) (X) 6319-4, and ISO/IEC 15693 standards
- Extends data rates to 848 kbps
- Active Load Modulation (ALM) next-generation technology reduces antenna size down to very compact sizes
- Supports Reader/Writer (R/W) mode, Active and Passive Peer (P2P) mode and Tag/Card Emulation mode
- Enhances Low-Power Target Detection (LPTD) mode for extremely low average current consumption
- Supports latest NFC Forum specifications, including NFC Controller Interface (NCI 1.1) for host
- Product family consists of multiple devices, each targeted for specific applications ranging from secure mobile applications to embedded systems